Friday, August 12, 2005

 

Oil & Doughnuts - though Chanukah's nowhere in sight

Filled up my little Nissan Sentra today - cost me $25. A year ago, it was $15. I shudder to think what SUV drivers must be paying as their contribution to the Saudi Arabian Treasury.

Anyway, as a way of hedging against the seemingly usntoppable rise in the price of petrol, I bought an oil stock last month - 100 shares of Bois D'Arc (NYSE: BDE) at $15.42. They're now worth $16.90, so I figure I've purchased about $150 worth of price rise protection thus far. And I may need all the help I can get, given that Goldman Sach's prediction of $100 a barrel oil is not looking so far-fetched these days.

Of course, this strategy of buying stocks to protect oneself from the rising costs of necessities does not always work. For instance, last year I bought some Krispy Kreme stock, figuring that the climbing share price would help finance my indulgence in those heavenly artery cloggers. Unfortunately, you only need to take a look at KKD's price chart to understand why I've reluctantly switched my allegiance to Dunkin' Donuts.

-LSD

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?